View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Scoobie Noobie

evo120 at standard level
Default HELP!!! HSD HR Coilovers Will not lower below stock height!!

Have a set of hsd hr coilovers on my 2002 wrx sti. The front set of coilovers are mm's away from touching the driveshaft and the car is still basically at stock height (you can stick 2.5-3 fingers between the tyre and the guard).

I concluded that the front coilovers supplied to me were perhaps 5-7cm's too long but I've sent them back to HSD (Otomoto) in Sydney and Grant the manager of Otomoto whom I spoke to over the phone, advised they were identical to the other GDB fronts he was selling.

So now I am completely baffled. My conclusion was that if there was 5-7centimetres less of thread, I'd be able to lower it. Please weigh in on this. And no, I have not installed the rear coilovers in the front and the front coilovers in the rear (see photos).

Car sitting at just below stock height (2.5 - 3 fingers between tyre & guard) :

Heaps of thread and millimetres away from making contact with the driveshaft:

Pictures of rear coilovers to confirm incorrect installation has not occured:
Also to confirm this, front coilovers have the full circular camber top and the rears half the almost complete circular camber top.
[/b]

Front coilovers removed from car:

Front suspension length from Camber plate to base of thread:
45cm from under the camber plate to base of thread. Does this sound about right??? Can anyone confirm this?

There is way too much thread. Thread already protrudes from the coilover base and is only below stock height:

Grant also asked me whether my car was modified or is an import and the answer is no and no. The car is ADM and factory with 83000 kms on it so everything is original from factory.

What do you think?

Can you also conclude that the front coilovers are way too long ? IMO the fronts supplied are way too long. I've had tein SS before this and from memory are not this long. And I've surfed the interwebs lookin at other peoples build threads and it doesnt look right...

2003 HSD HR
http://bbs.scoobynet.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=26

GDB tein flex:

compare this and this:
The distance between the spring clamp and the base clamp look the same however my thread continues to protrude from the base..you can't even see the knob on the posters 2003 wrx front coilover.

Thats a pic off the interwebs.. Can anyone help me to a photo of front hsd hrs so I can compare or can you even tell the difference by just looking at it??