View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

My 2c...
If an alien race came to earth and offered us a fast, cheap and efficient mode of transport that would greatly reduce travel time, is accessible to all and increased convenience, however would kill or serious maim over 1 billion people annually on a global scale- We'd say the costs are just far too high. (Dr Karl Kruszelnicki) That description is exactly what the car is.
When we get behind the wheel of a vehicle we need to consider we are in control of a deadly weapon. How many drivers think of their car that way?
There's a saying that familiarity breeds contempt. i.e: We get too comfortable doing something and then we cut corners.- Driving.
Young drivers need to learn the right way and gain experience to be good drivers.
Over time P platers have proved to be one of the very high risk groups on the road. The laws have become progressively tougher to reduce the risks to young drivers and other road users. If every time a P plater (and everyone else) gets in the car and thinks about the points/fines they may get, maybe it will encourage safer driving... If not, the laws will get tougher still.
A driver's license is a priviledge not a right. Talking/texting on your phone, fiddling with your I Pod and/or stereo, driving with a load of mates in your car or chosing to race the guy next to you in a V8/WRX/Skyline etc are all dangerous distractions to drivers, particularly those on P plates. Personally I think P platers should have a Kilowatt limit placed on the vehicles that can be driven and that all new drivers should be made to participate in defensive driver training and club motorsport in controlled environments (motorkhana/khanacross) before being allowed onto the roads. This would give more idea about what can happen when control of a car is lost and may make people realise the implications if that happened on a public road.
For now, the government see tighter laws as the way to encourage safer driving amongst young drivers.
Moral of the story: Don't complain about the laws, think that these laws have been brought about in an effort to get you and your fellow road users home safely each day/night. If you want to cut loose in your car or drive fast, join a car club and participate in motorsport in a controlled environment away from public roads.

Karl
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]