View Single Post
Old 15-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

Any Subaru/Exedy etc.. 5 speed or 6 speed pull clutch will work in a 6 speed.

Short shifters are not worth it IMHO for 6 speeds. the standard 6 speed shift is very tight compared to a 5 speed. Just upgrade the standard 6 speed bushes to kartboy ones if you feel you need it, but I doubt you will.

If the bushes are in good condition and the oil is good you shouldnt have any problems hitting the "gate" going into gears. I did it a few times on my 6 speed but it was only when the gear oil was dead cold.

It depends on the kind of driving you do the most. It means an extra shift down the drag strip compared to a stock 5 speed. But on the track the close ratios helps keep you in the torque band of the motor. Its like the really close ratio 5 speeds from the STI-RA but with an extra gear on top.

If you have a 6 speed and a good clutch than the weakest link in the drive train is now the driveshafts themselves. But I guarantee you will not be able to snap a drive shaft on the street with street tyres. Launching hard on hot R-comps is different though. Either way, standard front and rear R160 driveshafts are cheap and only take 15 to swap out.

the 6 speed will approximately 30 odd KG to your car. Its worth it.

You shouldn't need a retune when going to a 6 speed. I just upgraded to a wider ratio 6 speed myself and also put in a lightweight flywheel. After talking to Sean @ ASG, a retune was not needed.

The only thing to really worry about when buying a second hand 6 speed is the synchros. The gears themselves are damn near unbreakable. Standard 6 speed synchros are very durable though. And they have more of them per gear than the 5 speeds helping to spread out the load and wear. With good oil choice it shouldnt be a problem buying a 6 speed out of a road car. 6 speeds that come out of track cars will likely be more worn than a street driven 6 speed with double the kms driven on it. So thats the only thing to be wary of.