View Single Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Unless you get the real-deal SWRT WRC wing (made by Cosworth Engineering in the UK) the multivane wing would be way too heavy...also the uprights were designed with sideways stability in mind....ie when the car is sliding on a loose surface rather than tarmac.
IMO GT wings are probably functional but look ridiculous on anything but a dedicated race car.
So that leaves us with the standard STI wing which actually produces reasonable downforce and stability at speed....an good idea would be to probably add a Gurney flap, but there was only one mob making them for GD wings and they no longer manufacture them. I also think it is a good idea to add a central upright to stop vibration since the standard wing blade vibrates like buggery at any sort of speed.

You can get complete carbon fibre replacement wings which arent that heavy at all. But as said previously no benefit on a tarmac car which mine is.

The GT wing will only be put on when the car is being tracked, i will keep the s202 wing for other duties, so although it dosent look pretty its functional. Thats what im trying to achieve..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Agreed! They look great but all about the sideways g force it generates. Like a speedway car.

I dont much like them either fag. When are you ever getting sideways at 150kms/hr anyway? Not like a wing will stop the scare at collie.
A GT wing has got nothing to do about drifting more so it keeps the rear end more stable with downforce so that you can enter corners and exit at faster speeds before u loose the arse end.. This will definately help in tracks like collie and barbagello.

But the important thing is to make sure that there is very little drag co-efficient hence trying to find a wing that has actually got some decent testing..