View Single Post
Old 22-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level
Default Drivetrain rubbing/grinding noise...solved?

I've had this f*cking annoying sound in my drivetrain lately, came about a few months after a new clutch was installed. Confusion as to whether its a HD organic sports or OEM replacement, invoice contradicts itself. Happens only under the following conditions:
* in gear, 0% throttle & cruising along...like slowing for a set of lights before engaging clutch.
* only when car is warm...assuming means the gearbox oil is warm too.
* loudest at 2-3000rpm.

Best way to describe the noise is with this video...when you listen to it you will understand why I am fed up with this noise & want it fixed!!!!!!11ntyOMGBBQRIBS

And another video... (~1:25>1:40 is the noise)

According to this thread - http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1097682 - the noise is as a result of lightened flywheel with a relatively new clutch, something about there not being enough weight to stop something spinning or whatever.

My questions:
1. Does an 01-02GT come stock with a lightened flywheel?
2. Would a lightened flywheel be causing a slight squeal/shudder when driving around parking lots & a harsh on/off throttle response when crawling along at low speeds/rpm?
3. Can I get a heavier flywheel relatively easy & what are the drawbacks v. lightened? Slight loss of power?