View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

I've only been here 18 months and I still consider myself a newbie but I enjoy the interaction that the P-WRX community has provided in that time. My introduction really came about at the recently demised "Hydie" lunches where the likes of American Dave, Jimmy S, you Scary and Ramon (as examples) gave me a brief and intense realisation that I knew nothing about my car in reality. Since then I've done everything I can to change that , by searching, and reading and following some of the "wank threads". The reason for my thread is I hope that it helps someone in the same way Dave's thread helped me with mods decisions.

I found that the more I became involved the more and more that the community has rallied behind the cause. The help from members can be extraordinary when needed whether it be advice, support when an engine fails on a cruise, support when a member's car hits a tyre wall, parts needs, best prices, "what the F^$^ is that noise", etc.

I completely agree that on a medium that involves the English language it would be appropriate to post with at least an attempt to use English correctly. Hence, if it turns into "twitter" or SMS P-WRX then, like Jaron, I'll log out as well.

It did seem obvious to me our latest departed member wasn't going to last long. His first post was an attempt to sell - First Post. His follow up threads were a troll from almost beginning to end. His final thread speaks for itself. I honestly spent some time trying to work out why I got the honour of being an "owner of a family car". In the end I'll never know and don't care - although I had seen enough of said past member posts to know not to care.

I would have like to see how long he would have lasted at a Friday lunch if he had spoken to members as he did when in keyboard warrior forum mode - not very long I'm sure. Just as I'm sure if I had behaved like that - neither would have I.

One of my most vivid post memories was a stupid one about "beating speed cameras" and I got hammered - deserved it, sucked it up, took on the advice, and learnt from it. Seems to me that most new members seem to do the same - some don't.

I think P-WRX is an exceptional site with a dedicated group of members who will help anyone in need BUT as in most of Australia if you come in and straight away act like the tallest poppy of them all someone will come and cut you down.

Luckily, in the time that I have been here I have met people who I consider friends with common interests.