View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level
Default From WRP10 to Version 5...

Hey folks,

After owning my WRP10 for about 18 months, an oppurtunity has arisen for me to pick up a cheap Version 5 STI in need of some love. Its come at a time when i wanted out of the WRP10 anyway as finance payments are killing me and i'm looking to save some cash. I got a call from my mate to tell me that he's been asked to look at a Subaru and would i come along and have a look with him.. Suffice to say, when i saw it I had to have it

Fortunately for me, because i work at the dealer trading this car in I have the chance to drive this car for a few weeks before i make up my mind, which will give me a chance to have a proper look at its condition, and make sure there are no nasty gremlins lurking anywhere.

The car is a White version 5 STI with 140k on the clock (confirmed as an Australian delivered unit by Rossco - Thanks mate). It has a very sad lack of service history since 2006, so its had a general mechanical inspection yesterday, and will be having a compression test during next week. Here she is, uncleaned and outside my unit:

And the engine bay:

As far as i can tell it has FMIC, Flutter BOV, CAI, some ugly silicon piping, an oil catch can?? (I think?) Whiteline sway bars, Possum Bourne Link ECU with original ECU in the boot. I'm told an uprated turbo.. but i can't see enough of it to tell what it is:

Also in the boot... 4" cannon muffler (which won't be going back on), a XTR Racing clutch kit (http://www.dragtimes.com/parts/XTR-R...425197043.html), a gauge pod for the A pillar, some more silicon hosing and some other bits below which i'm not 100% sure what they are:

I have no idea what they are in that last pic...

Anyway, thats the car in its current form. If there is nothing majorly wrong when it goes through the workshop next week then it'll be mine

1st on the list of things is a re-tune, the previous owner removed the massive exhaust and then de-tuned the ECU to compensate for the smaller exhaust... so i'll have to book it in somewhere to have a re-tune done with the current setup. Hopefully it'll just need a couple of hours work to get it right again.

After that, as Rexxxed pointed out yesterday, the orange indicators are hideous. So they will be going. The FMIC needs a spray as it looks all chipped, which I will probably do when i remove all the red/orange silicone piping with something a little less... bright?

This could be the start of the greatest car I have ever owned, and i'm pumped to get cracking on it!