View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Curly at standard level

Umm, scrutineering was a bit of an issue. Got it running about two hours before our allotted time, cleaned it up a bit, and hit the road.

Only for it to overheat about 2km up the road. Stop, top up coolant, rinse, repeat. No joy.

Turned out that we hadn't got all the air out of the system properly, so we sorted that on Sunday.

Spoke to Ross and arranged to present the car at scrutineering on Friday. Doesn't give us much time to move if we fail on anything, but we'll deal with that as it happens.

Going to be a busy day - we have to pull the new turbo out to get it sealed up as well...

Which poses the question - we've got a VF23 now (thanks Alex!) and a 34mm restrictor. But it's a standard (STI) ECU. I've read somewhere that the internal wastegate is set to ~7psi, but the factory boost controller modifies the pressure going to the wastegate in order to get the desired boost?

Now given that we've run out of time to put a proper solution in place, how can we run this setup without damaging the turbo? Doug reckons that if we try to make boost high up in the rev range, we'll overspeed and damage the turbo?

I'm not sure I've got the willpower to short shift it all event - especially if there are spectators watching...

Is it an option to bypass the boost controller and just plug it in to the wastegate actuator and end up running ~7psi?