View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Curly at standard level

So anyway, just got home from playing with the car tonight, and I'm bloody confused.

It wouldn't start on Sunday night as we went to move it to its parking spot, so we shrugged and left it there. It had been running fine all weekend, I'd been taking it around the block, moving it back and fore etc etc.

So it still wouldn't start tonight, no spark at all. Plugs looked fine. Scratched our heads for a bit. Alex suggested it might be a dodgy ignition relay, so found a spare and swapped that it, no joy.

Swapped to the spare ecu that we'd previously decided was faulty, and it fired up straight away. Took it down the servo, filled it up with BP 98, and drove up and down the Roe for a bit. Ran fine (with a hint of detonation occasionally) and feels pretty strong. Hesitates a bit on part throttle though...

What could cause a lack of spark, fixed by swapping ecus? The check engine light isn't on when it's running. Some sort of error, and it takes a while for the ecu to go into failsafe mode?

Swapped the ECU back to the original one, and it started fine, but died as I turned the headlights on. Will check that the alternator is charging properly first thing tomorrow afternoon.

Someone has also suggested that the crank and cam angle sensors are a common point of failure? We swapped some with a mate, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Not sure I want to drop $250 on a pair of new sensors unless there's a good chance it'll make a difference.

Sigh. Still, it feels pretty great when it's running and on boost.