View Single Post
Old 18-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal View Post
For the price ($50k drive away) I would go the landcruiser 79 series. Why?
3. Much better engine - 4.5litre twin turbo diesel is going to be lot more fuel efficient than the 4litre petrol and have enough torque to tow 3.5 tonne boat.
5. No carpets, not a lot of electrics (Cd player is probably the only thing) and other luxury stuff ie power steering/clutch servo etc. Some people might take it as a disadvantage but let me tell you in simple man's terms it means less stuff can break.

If you're looking for a 4wd only vehicle 79 series is the way to go IMO
Pete,

79 series is the same block as the twin turbo motor but it is only single turbo.

I wouldn't have it any other way but it is manual only aswell.

Also I just ordered a new one for me the other day (my current one is just over 3 years old) and when you tick a few boxes (factory diff locks etc) you dont get a lot of change out of $70k and that is still with gold toyota fleet.

Mine has carpets and even electric windows! Since the upgrade about 12 months ago they got a new dash and you now even get a cupholder and airbags! The metal glovebox is gone aswell.

The other strong point on the 79 series is the resale value. Mine is just over 3 years old, 90 + km's and had the shit belted out of it and I still got $40500 for it. Cheap motoring really.

It is a weapon for towing but I have a 200 series diesel aswell and the 79 does not hold a candle to it. Set the cruise at $1.20 towing 3.5 tonne and no problems.

The FJ is just a prado underneath. It has great road manners but it does not have a separate chassis so is not going to be quite as capable offroad. For 99% of what people do it will be fine. Having said that we broke the suspension in a brand new (not even had its first service) prado the other day. Was $3k in parts alone. There have also been quite a few problems in the US with dealers fitting bigger wheels and then breaking the suspension and it not being covered under warranty.

Brendon