View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDINO View Post
Saw Scott Pedders car after it went head first into a tree and that cage (Chromoly) was still perfect, did an amazing job considering the impact, I will definitely be doing another chromoly cage. I guess you weld in what ever you feel comfortable with.
Ok, look I know this pro and anti CroMo argument could go on for ages, and everyone's got their own opinions and anecdotal stories of what car did what in which crash, but I'll finish on this:

As of 2012 CAMS (as the FIA did many years ago on safety grounds) has banned the use of CroMo in roll cages. This isn't hearsay, it's available to see on CAMS Online Manual of Motor Sport right now!

The facts are, very few people (regardless of what they think) can actually weld it properly when used in a roll cage, and it's self hardening, meaning it develops crack of it's own accord, even when welded properly, and without impact. This is why ANDRA in particular have such stringent inspections of CroMo cages. So if you honestly think it's safe to be in a roll cage that slowly tears itself apart, then go nuts, but as of 1st Jan next year, you won't have a choice...

Sorry I found rude about this, but having been involved with roll cage design for some time now, the use of CroMo, when the knowledge of how dangerous it is is out there, it's something that really disturbs me...