View Single Post
Old 27-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Phildo at standard level
Default It rained tonight. A lot. In a very short amount of time.

It rained tonight. A lot. In a very short amount of time.

It really, really, really, really, really pissed down. It started over a few minutes and went for about half an hour. Not a particularly long time, but there was too much water for drainage systems to handle, resulting in lakes of water everywhere.

By fluke, I had fitted new wheels and tyres the night before. After lots of hours researching what tyres would be good in wet weather conditions at a good price, I chose the Neuton NT5000 tyre, paying $160 each for 235/40ZR18 size. This night confirmed that I'd made the right choice - they were amazing. No matter what I did, the car drove well and felt stable and safe. There was no sliding or loss of traction at all, and I pushed the car very hard through some corners to see how the tyres would hold.

It wasn't easy to get any photos, but I had a go.

Blurry photo, but shows the amount of water that cars were driving through.

Yes, I am on the wrong side of the road. Yes, that is water gushing over the median strip. There were cars blocking the road, so going on the wrong side was the only way of getting through.

This is the puddle of water at the intersection of Scarborough Beach Road and West Coast Highway. When I got there a Commodore SS Ute was stuck in the middle of it, with a very unhappy looking driver.