Thread: Jon's MY11
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 12:56 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Martin Donnon at standard level

Hey guys,
The problem with the exhaust system on Jons car is that in this instance it would look to be (or at least the ECU thinks it is) causing a boost creep issue which generates a P0244 boost control solenoid range performance error in the MY11 WRX ECU. This does not mean it is a bad exhaust. This is probably a very good modification, but attempting to control the boost pressure in the VF52 turbocharger equipped MY11 WRX engine with this exhaust in place proved to be - extremely - difficult, hence we gave the customer back his money - which is the fair thing to do.

I personally wrote the definition for ECUFlash for Jons car and have gone through the code in some detail to find the source of the Target Boost versus Wastegate duty error this car generates, and have adjusted both Initial Duty Cycle, Max Duty Cycle, and Target Boost to keep things in sync, however the vehicle still seemed hell bent on generating a P0244 which indicates a mismatch between the mechanical and software sides of the vehicle - making it something best looked at locally for a resolution. Note Jon reported the vehicle still generated this error with the stock ECU program in place.

As for the 'safeness' of the tune the aim AFR at a full measured 1.1 bar of boost pressure was 11.2:1 AFR with a target timing of 12.98 degrees BTDC which should keep IAM at 1.0 (as it did when road tested with the logs Jon sent me indicating zero presence of detonation) which means that in this initial stage of tune the engine was totally in the 'safe' zone. I am not sure how 'out of whack' that is, but open to constructive input.

I do not know how to interpret the dyno graphs posted on the DynaPac as I generally only use our inhouse Mainline AWD chassis dyno for software development. However it would seem that with the negative readings the graphing was left running when the run was being decelerated. This is obviously what has happened, and yes it does make things look 'funny'. As to how much help this is in a tuning discussion - I am not sure.

Hope that helps clear things up, and good luck with your car Jon.

Last edited by Martin Donnon; 28-06-2011 at 01:05 PM.