View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrico View Post
I work for a different department of Downer eng, but we have a bloke that did 5 years in signals division. Im sure he knows all about this stuff, and where each one is excactly as he used to have to install some of them. Ill see if he knows how they work but im pretty sure there are induction coils in the road bases used to detect load. These help the traffic lights determine if there is a car waiting or not, especially when they are in priority mode at night. The red light camera uses these induction coils, when a light goes yellow the camera arms. Once the light is red, it uses the initial induction coil into the intersection as an activation and happy (or unhappy) snaps your picture.

The speed camera however i am not sure about. Wouldnt you say it would use the same technology as a multinova? Shoot a beam and wait for the reflection to determine if someone is speeding. Id have to ask i spose.
The induction coil is obviously the method for detecting red light running. I think the speed camera uses the coil as a starting point and laser beam, which came from one of the smaller head, as a reference point, then it calculate time a car travel between this length.

I think thats the possible explaination, while they cant be detected by V1 (the laser beam uses different frequancy more close to laser aligner), but still calculate speed pretty well with slightly high tolerance than poliscan.

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport