Thread: Jon's MY11
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Jon911 at standard level

OK, most people would have thought id learnt my lesson from the first internet tune attempt but with some help from Dave, i found myself another tuner, Eric Minehart from Torqued Performance in the States.

At $120 USD for a "custom stage 2 tune with EBCS", I thought, why not.

From his very first file that he sent me, the car had no issues with the new tune what so ever. Issues that I had with the first tune were no more.

This was the result of the dyno yesterday.

The first run was the best, the second and third we had issues due to cooling limitations.

Run 1: As stated, no issues.

Run 2: The tune ran rich, we presume this was because there was extra heat from the engine and the restrictions of running the dyno fan over a top mount intercooler. We are guessing the ECU added extra fuel to compensate for the higher intake temperature.

Run 3: The ECU pulled timing, but maintained boost. We presume the ECU was trying to prevent detonation. Car detonated at about 4500rpm. Again, a higher intake temperature and setup of dyno fan on a top mount intercooler can be considered.

I sent an email to Eric, and he replied as so:

How close where the pulls together and was there any kind of fan on the intercooler? If there wasn't adequate cool down between runs this can happen.
It has been my experience that the dyno doesn't always represent real world conditions. Not only is there no airflow over the intercooler but the engine is working hard without airflow. It is unlikely that this type of situation would occur in the real world. It is my guess that the intercooler was much hotter than it would ever see in the real world even when outside temps are 115 degrees and you are sitting at a light or in traffic. Even so the intercooler will cool down when the air starts moving.

So, thoughts?