View Single Post
Old 19-07-2011, 07:55 AM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

So, they have found an error and instead of being reasonable in explaining their actions, they are passing the buck.

I was/am still a licensed property manager and this was something that did come up from time to time.

- You are still liable for the bills obviously, regardless when they issue them to you. You can't fight this point, you are still liable to pay as defined in your lease.
- In this particular case the breach is void. As you have paid those bills which you have been issued, have no statements for which to pay the water accounts from. Therefore it would be unreasonable to issue a breach knowing that you have forwarded funds that were to be allocated specifically to rent (ie. you knowingly paid all accounts as they were issued/due)
- Threats/REBA/REIWA involvement is likely to make the rest of your tenancy a massive pain in the ass. IMHO it achieves 2/10ths of fark all. Be reasonable, see the people in person and sort it out. Their system would have no doubt allocated incoming funds to the 'most overdue' account as most due (apg39 above mentioned this, they can allocate it wherever they like). Try not to be personal with it, this gets you no where.

I would request that a 'payment plan' be enforced, this must be put forward to the owner as it would unreasonable to do so. You owe ~$700 in water consumption perhaps an additional $50 per week or something along those lines.

Be sure to put EVERYTHING in writing (email is fine), I would avoid going to the owner at this stage. The agent has as much authority in dealing with this as them.

Should they be retarded/unreasonable in dealing with it, perhaps notify the owner of the situation and request a plan be put forward. No point being a dick and yelling 'they're farked' when it's a fairly straight forward error/fix.