View Single Post
Old 24-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Rossco, you are right on the money.

I am very surprised at the number of Imprezas wanting mods done to their cars, but with cooling systems so badly maintained. Doesn't make sense.

Basics of having a well flowing radiator, interval water pump changes, coolant hoses, thermostat and radiator cap maintenance just isn't something placed as a priority these days.

Also have realised through the years that a lot of ppl do not place importance on the little factory temp gauge in the car. It is the most important gauge other than the fuel gauge. If it goes a little higher than normal, the first thing to do is to pull the car to the side of the road let it cool down and call the towie. Do not even continue driving. Have seen ppl drive the car without even realising the temp gauge is reading high and some who have seen the high temp, will still continue driving.

If I have so much as a hose leak, the whole radiator will be sent for a flow test, thermostat and coolant cap will also be changed. If the hose or any part of the cooling system has perished, it tells you a lot of the rest of the cooling system. A little money spent, will see me save a lot of money from expensive repairs and get me good hp as well.

All my cars other than my ute, have silicon radiator hoses, upgraded radiators, radiator cap, fan controllers and lower temp thermostats. That is extra hp through cooling efficiency that will not stress your engine at all, and save you money in the long haul.

It is not rocket science!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Subaru std cap v Sti rad cap = STD cap 0.9bar (13.05 psi) to STI cap 1.3 bar (18.85 psi) ..... 5.8 psi increase.

The OEM Subaru STI cap is 1.3 bar, the one the op posted is 1.3 kgcm2 which is 18.5 psi.....Slightly lower than the STI option rad cap.

I'd call it safe, seeing as Subaru market it as an 'upgrade' for all WRX's.

I've been running the Subaru STi one for for 4 years, no dramas.

If your hoses are soft & swollen crap, they'll fail soon regardless...Maintenance FTW!