View Single Post
Old 25-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Scoobie Noobie

snapmetobits at standard level

I bought a my body and a couple of lenses from here . Super fast shipping, order today, receive tomorrow. I believe they can do these because they have stock over in the eastern states. DWI and Citiwide online have pretty good deals as well every now and then, what might be an additional plus is that they can under declare the value of goods so you don't pay GST, this will affect your delivery insurance however as they will only cover what's stated in the invoice.

The kit lens looks pretty good covering 15-300mm over 2 lenses and I reckon that's a good start if you're not shooting sports or in low light. Once the optical zoom ratio gets too high, barrel distortion, chromatic aberration and striction? (where the barrel moves about due to the weight) becomes a larger issue. I have a 18-200 and noticed the above.

Having said that, for general walkaround/travelling lens, the 18-200 would be the ideal lens. Getting slightly lower quality shots is better than not taking a shot at all Chuck in a 50mm f1.8 (these things go for 150) or even 1.4G and you can take on any low light situation with an accompanying hotshoe flash. Perhaps you can also consider the 28-300 as well? Its the FX version of the 18-200.

I currently use a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 HSM and I reckon they are pretty good in terms of value. Pretty soft wide open however but half the price of a nikon copy.

Perhaps you might want to set aside a bit of cash for a set of filters as well. A good set of UV and CPL/ND filters can do wonders to your final shot.