View Single Post
Old 18-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
I'm on the Red Cross bone marrow registry (just required a bit of extra blood when giving a donation, some paper work and a bit of thought, "would I be able to go through some uncomfort to help someone.)

February last year I got a call, apparently I was a match for someone in Victoria. Off to Bunbury for some more blood to do a final check, and yes I was a good match.

Six moths went by, and I got a call to advise me that the recipient had chosen no to take up the offer. This could have been for a number of reasons, and I was unaware of the age limit, I had just turned 40 at the time of the match. Looking at Westoz post, I'm not sure if I'm still eligible to donate or not.

For those of you thinking of joining up, and are prepared for the possibility of a bit of discomfort, join up, and give blood at the same time.

Fortunately, I don't know anyone in this situation, (needing blood products or marrow) but you never know when I might be.

Tim if you're on the registry, you stay on and can donate marrow until age 60. The over 40 thing is for those wanting to join de novo.