View Single Post
Old 26-10-2011, 08:45 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

I am running Vi-pec in my rally car. I think I'm probably the only one in the state rally championship using it.
When the Vi-Pec was installed in my Rex a few years ago, no one had heard of it. At the time, Autronics seemed to be the ECU of choice (which is what I initially wanted). We had to go Vi-pec as Autronincs no longer manufactured PNP V2 boards for the early model wiring loom and besides, the old Autronic PNP's had a board mounted map sensor which meant running a line from the manifold to the ECU.

We are running a V4 engine, VF23 Turbo and the early model wiring loom. The car produces good power & torque figures with a 34mm restrictor and 98RON fuel, without running a "knife edge" tune. We could probably gain more power and torque if I wanted a hand grenade under the bonnet. We have done away with the AFM and upgraded the boost controller. The only other mod we had to do with the early wiring loom was fit an IAT(came in Vi-pec box).

The Rotational Idle & Anti lag are mandatory additions, both work perfectly.
At first I was sceptical as to how good Vi-pec would be. I'm happy to report that the Vi-pec is at least as good as any other after market ECU, especially for the price. (I've had Motec M400 in a previous rally car and installed M800 into a Celica GT4 as well.) The guys that have tuned the car seem to think the Vi-pec is pretty good too and I certainly have no complaints.

Karl
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]