Thread: Fish Tank Setup
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff
Default Fish Tank Setup

So the Mrs wanted a pet, dogs, etc - Not enough space. So she bought a second hand fish tank package for $350. Turns out it all looks pretty good and I have began to somewhat take over this project

Anyway, been doing some reading, and it appears to be a case of art vs science. So just putting it out there for any hints and tips as to how to get a sweet tank setup.

I have a 200L Tank, enclosed stand, filter, airpump, heater, lighting etc so totally good to go from the hardware side of things. I am going to be using freshwater as marine doesn't appear beginner at all.

Substrates etc, initially wanted to do real plants, but this adds complexity - Saw quite a few photo's with fake plants and they actually look pretty good. So unsure whether to get a substrate which will support real plant growth (I think the lights that came with it does)

Other than that - Just wanted to kit it out real nice and get it looking as natural as possible (where the art comes in?) So was curious for any good places in Perth to get good onaments? Logs? etc?

Plan to set up the tank, get it all up and running for a few weeks then add fish. (Get thet tank cycled?)

These are some cool ideas i saw for inspiration:

Cheers