Thread: Fish Tank Setup
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
I am picking up a second hand tank on Saturday. Going to get back into the fish tank thing... I've been wanting one for a while, since I got rid of my last 6ft one. I want it to be low maintenance though this time, so I will be going simple.

Tossing up between salt water and tropical...
Low maintenance and salt water are mutually exclusive Kym.

20 years of running fish tanks and I would not consider a marine tank but I am at the end of the tank ownership desire.

Best advice I can give is:

Regular and consistent water changes.
Log the tank parameters and your chemical regime.
Bigger the better - easier to stabilise / keep stable.
Trickle filters > cannister filters per $ cost.
If aiming for plants set up substrate to suit - too hard to change later as it involves emptying the tank.
Single breed tanks are easier to get to breed / survive.

Best tank setup I ever had involved 30 odd discuss and plants in a 1000l tank. Included CO2 injection which suited the low Ph discus. The discus are spectacular and profitable if you can get them to breed / grow well. Discus are not for a beginner though. Discus are extremely smart and friendly and I could hand feed some of them. I had three tanks at this stage.

Not my tank but a good example.

I'm down to one three foot with a single large Golden Severum named "apu". Used to be a community tank but Apu ate all his neighbours ;( He started out at less than an inch long and now he must be close to a 10" in length. He's about 8 years old.

Have always used Vebas as closest to my house in Mexico.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 03-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.