Thread: Which Camera?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level
Default Which Camera?

Okay so, for a crhistmas present (excuse to buy a camera) I am considering purchasing a camera that will be used for car pictures, cricket shots and the odd surfing shot, I will use the camera for movies but they are not my priority.

As far as brands go, my experience with Canon has been great and therefore I am basically only willing to buy a Canon as I have no reason to test a different brand.

I'm a beginner, as in, I know close to F all about photography, and hence, I am looking at around a $600 budget for the camera itself. I looked around and a Canon 550D can be had for around $600 with the standard lens. Will this camera be able to zoom in with the standard lens at the WACA and take a good picture of the Batsmen playing a shot. I watched a review and it said it can take 3.7 frames per second, so does this mean I can aim my camera at the batsmen and hold the button down so I maximise the probability of me obtaining the "perfect" shot?

So is the Canon 550D overkill for what I have just explained? Would a $400 camera be more than enough to do this? My mum has a digital camera that isn't an SLR which I have used and it produces pretty good pictures but not quite as good a quality as I'm hoping for. She has a stand that I can use to eliminate ahnd shake.

Or is the Canon 550D not good enough? Will I need to purchase a better lens to produce quality pictures of batsmen playing shots.

Any help or advise is much appreciated THANKS