View Single Post
Old 19-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
yes he did and he had my permission, but he indicated said ribs were somewhat undercooked ?
Not undercooked, just more rub time to help (like 24 hours) or more smoking time.

To confirm Trist, I find that if the rub time isn't really long (say 24 hours) that smoking time needs to move out to 5-6 hours or even more. The rub is a pre cook. I found this out one time when a mate asked for "no rub" kiddie ribs and all those ribs in the cooking batch needed much more time. Very thick pieces were even close to raw near the bone due to the lack of rub time.

That's why I sop my ribs, the sopping time in the pot means that I only have to smoke for 2-3 hours rather than 6-8. It's technically sacrilege for true smoked ribs but I simply don't have the gumtion to keep my charcoal smoker going for that long. My ribs can be forked apart usually.

In the end there is simply almost no chance of over cooking a rib. The best ribs I ever had were not sopped but done for 14 hours and you could chew the bone through

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 19-12-2011 at 03:57 PM.