Thread: Garage 101
View Single Post
Old 28-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsk View Post
I was under the impression Verso was basically unlicensed ecutek, thats what Steve told me anyway.. He could have just worded it like that for my simpleton brain to comprehend.
Verso is open source ECU tuning.. as is ECUTek.

ECUTek decided that because they were the first to market an ECU flash for Subaru, they'd tell everyone that everything else is a copy of theirs or an "unlicensed" version of theirs.

The fact is, anyone can tune an ECU using freely available open source software and a cheap cable, readily available over the internet.

When you pay ASG for a Verso tune, or any other workshop for an ECUTek tune, you're paying for the expertise of the tuner, as well as the hundreds of hours that they spent getting everything right prior to putting it out on the market.. its cheap insurance really, the chances of something going wrong when you tune your own ECU is extremely high. $1k'ish to tune an ECU with an experienced tuner is cheap insurance IMHO, the chances of an engine blowing up in the hands of an expert is very low when that person knows what they're doing.

As for which is better, it is well known that some flash tunes are better than others, but if you did a search, you'd be able to find that out pretty quickly from just reading some experiences of others on this forum.

I can't vouch for Verso itself as I've never had one in any of my cars, but Sean from ASG has done all my MoTeC tuning since he started tuning several years ago. From my experience in this, I can safely say that I wouldn't trust any other person to tune my Subaru.. so take that as you will.