View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
So I started back in the gym last week after having a 3 month break (laziness + injury), and want some criticism on my current routine. I’ve lost a hell of a lot of strength and put on a few kgs since then (was benching 90kgs when I was 80kgs, now 85kg ish and benching nearly half) so looking to get back to some form of fitness.

I ride to/from work Monday - Friday (20km/day) so have the cardio sorted at the moment, don't really enjoy running so try to keep that to a minimum.
Not to be too harsh, but that routine is awful. 4 straight days and all you are doing is arms, chest and back with no break for recovery? Too many isolation exercises, not enough compound movements....

If you want to get strong and build muscle, forget all that and just do a simple 5 x 5 powerlifting program (Mon/Wed/Fri) - stick to the holy 3: squats, bench, deadlift! The daily riding will take care of cardio. Make sure your diet is in order and you'll be sweet.

You can google it pretty easily, or if you want something more specific then sing out and I'll lay it out step by step. You will look stupid starting with an empty bar, but by the end of week 12 you'll be humping some seriously solid weight. You'll be stronger in those 12 weeks than doing 2 years of your current routine.