View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
fitness routine
I asked a mate to give some advice. This was his response:

"oh fuck this is fucked where do i start (lucky im bored haha)

well firstly his split is absolutly fucked. i do:
day 1: upper body pushes (chest, shoulders, tris)
day 2: upper body pulls (back and bis)
day 3: lower body and abs
day 4: cardio

this works well because it ensures you hit your target areas hard because your hitting them with a lot of volume. for examply when doing a shoulder press on day 1 not only are u working your shoulders but also your upper chest and triceps. incline press does not only chest but also a bit of shoulders etc etc etc

your not getting the most out of your routine training shoulders and chest on consecutive days because the vast majority of chest exercises also involve a lot of shoulder engagement. hes gonna snap his shit up cos if you look hes doing monday to thursday training shoulders in some form.
basically the result is his shoulders dont get enough time to recover and he wont be able to go as heavy and hard while training his chest/back.

secondly he is giving way to much attention to biceps. if you look he is doing the same amount of sets on chest as he is on biceps! the bigger the muscle the more volume and intensity it needs to get stronger and therefore bigger.

thirdly there needs to be more compound movements (ones that involve many mucles working togethor.) chest espically, flys and crossovers do jackshit when compared to bench press and incline press. islolation movements although burn like crazy dont put your muscles under enough stress to add some real mass. limit isolation movements to 3 sets a workout and focus on adding numbers to the basic presses, rows and squats. if u think this makes you "bulky" ur wrong. to get to "meathead" size takes years and years of work. a year or two of heavy compound movements gets you bigger and is also the best way of decreasing bf % (due to the huge calorie expenditure)

forthly is rep ranges. ur muscles will respond best when they are attacked in varying ways. i recommend going heavy (6 to 10 reps) on the compound lifts and then increasing the reps on the isloation lifts (12 to 15 reps)"