View Single Post
Old 13-01-2012, 07:10 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shez at standard level

Ok, been on the roads in India, Singapore, China, Thailand, Indonesia, Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Belguim, The Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand.

Best road system - Germany (even in the cities). Most terrifying, the place I would never ever drive, is Rome.

Perth isn't too bad. But it is more about people's attitude. People will not stick to the left lane. Every day I get stuck behind some ass clown in right lane doing 75 in a 90 zone, with nothing in front of them, and just not quite enough gap to pass them. Merging? Isn't that where you wait until the last second? Isn't it about getting ahead of everyone else that is trying to merge? If you can get that one place ahead, and make everyone else brake and slow down, isn't that a successful merge? You are a legend... (yes tongue in cheek).

The other thing is, I just don't think "the powers that be" years ago ever expected this little remote town to grow so rapidly. Our roadways were just not designed for it.

My only wish is that they make changes and build for the future, not stop gap band aid solutions.

As for toll roads, I have nothing against them, but do believe that there should be discounts for cars with 2 or more passengers in them. That may lure more people into car pooling etc, and free up some of the congestion. Then again it might not. Seems to work in other countries/cities.

This current "brain fart" is just going to push congestion back onto feeder roads, and appears to be an idea that is being thrust around just to make it seem like they are working on the problem.