Thread: Gmax Wheels
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Hi Tristan,

Yes I agree 18x9 looks awesome. If you are after something like that, I will gladly put up a few options for you soon.

My approach in my business is to sell items that are reliable and safe for the car, whilst improving overall performance.

So for me to sell you something like that, I will have to indemnify myself by listing the pros and cons on this setup:

Pro:
1) Car looks awesome.

Cons:
1) Wait are they RAYS? oops no and I forgot to google 'Rota Fail'

2) 18x9 wheels are what I use on the rear of my 2JZ-GTE JZA80 Twin turbo Supra. Tyres I use are 18" 275/35. Will you be using 275s on your wheels? I guess not, so what tyres do you want to use? Narrower tyres will mean stretching it over the wheel. Hit a curb bad and the tyres will burst or fly off.

18x9s are also a good consideration for both the R32 GTRs I have at the workshop.

3)Tyres will wear faster when you use oversized wheels with undersized tyres. On the 18x9 setup, you have to run significantly a lot of camber which will wear the insides of the tyre. I will not give you more than 1 year of tyre life.

4) Weight of cheap wheels will put extra strain on drive train like gearboxes and driveshafts, so performance is lost.

5) Extra strain will cause car to go slower.

6) Handling characteristics are reduced significantly.

EDIT: I am not against oversized wheels as I myself love the HELLAFLUSH look and would personally put 18x9 wheels if I had a wrex. However, I personally would budget for tyre wear and drive the car within a certain limit. The above is from a performance and safety awareness pt of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tris7an View Post
yes sorry mao

they are exactly how i want a set of rims to sit if you have anything like that i will take them : D

Last edited by mao; 31-01-2012 at 11:50 PM.