View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlib View Post
excuse accepted, and i stand correct about the TD04 then hahaha. How much are you willing to spend, if you don't mind me asking?
The least amount as possible. No diffs, no fancy shit, a whiteline rear sway yes, I just want to get the optimum out of what I have & i know there is an optimum, & I think I am not there yet. I still have to keep focused o building thhis 2.35 stroker build that will end up going in this hacker eventually. Unfortunately its taken a bit of a back burner at the moment, due to having a bit of fun in this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two View Post
If you do a FMIC properly... Flipped cooler, pipes under the headlights, rotated compressor cover... fuck all lag over a TMIC.

A China spec kit with 10 meters of fully sick 3 inch pipes is going to suck hard.
The FMIC is a good kit, its just not possible, I don't think to upside down the core due to it coming with the pipework already as a kit. I mean I could upside it, but that would mean custom pipework or modification to the pipes it comes with. A cost I don't really wanna have over a tiny bit of lag "potentially"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
A VF24 would be a good option for a turbo, should be able to pick one up second hand for about $350-$400.
Used to be the go for Group N.
Also, as far a top mounts go, what about a GD WRX one? They're a decent size increase over a GC.
But I think a decent FMIC would be the best option, like MR 2 said, setup properly.

As far as understeering, a decent wheel alignment would also help. A bit of toe out at the rear helps. Along with a stiffer rear swaybar.

Forget the PFC. Get an Autronic or a Link, or even a Vipec, much better throttle response with the speed/density mapping.
Plus on board logging, and if you really want it, anti-lag, launch control, and traction control.

Because I have a series 1 with a slant mount, what I have read its hard enough fitting a 99 WRX intercooler let alone a STI one John size wise. I am also not 100% sure but because I have a 4 plug ECU, I am not sure on the compatibility or should I say availability of other ECU's over the PFC. besides I have the FC now & the datalogit, so for now it is what it is in that sense.

Plenty of people do fine with a PFC, so i am not too streesed about the ECU choice at all. I'm not interested in antifag as it destroys turbos pretty quickly. Lauch control is another nice to have but not necessary & traction control is boring

A turbo is a turbo and the difference between one or another over a FMIC or a TMIC is essentially the same, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
TL;DR replies, But

Why not fit a fmic, reversed, then just keep the piping size to the 'optimal' width, and then tune any lag out? Personally, for short circuit stuff, a bigger tmic would do the job too. Just get IC waterspray etc..?
I know Kim what you are saying FMIC V's TMIC hence the initial question. My STI has 340+ HP & over 420nm ATH with the STI TMIC & its fine, its just these newer / later model inter coolers are a karnt to fit due to the early layout of the inlet manifold, idle control valve & some brace on the firewall to the gearbox. I think? I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying its the same amount of work to fit the TMIC to the FMIC? In terms of hours spent on it.

What I lose in throttle response down low, will I gain in power due to colder inlet temps? I don't know how much flow the TD05 16G (I know its relatively small) puts out & if at 17 or 18 psi the TMIC over a 3Km track will be out of its range & start to get hot, ecu starts to pull timing?

Cheers for all the comments and advice guys, keep it coming, a good discussion is always good for everyone.

Simon.