View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru
Default NBN Satellites cost us $620 million WTF ?

TWO satellites worth a total of $620 million will be launched by 2015 to provide high-speed internet to Australia's remote areas.

NBN Co is the federal government-owned enterprise charged with rolling out fibre optic cable broadband to 93 per cent of Australia's 13 million homes, schools and businesses by 2021.

Fixed wireless technology will provide high-speed internet to four per cent of premises and the remaining three per cent will be supplied by satellite technology to remote areas.

Senator Stephen Conroy said Australians were a step closer to fast and affordable broadband services.

"This will ensure high speed broadband is delivered to Australia's remotest towns, such as Calvert in the Northern Territory and Bandya in Western Australia," he said in a statement.

Mr Quigley said the satellites were designed to deliver initial peak speeds of 12 megabytes download and one megabyte upload.

"It will be possible for retail service providers to offer services to homes and businesses in the satellite footprint that are as good or better than the services many city people currently experience," he said.

Space Systems/Loral president John Celli said the two companies shared a commitment to the highest quality performance.

"We're delighted to play a part in helping to deliver much-needed hi-speed broadband communities in regional and remote areas," he said.

I will shocked if there is even a computer in the towns of Bandya or Calvert. Any residents there will be sleeping on the ground or amongst burned out vehicles in a camp with no running water or electricity FFS.

I would bet my last dollar Senator Conroy has never even been to either of those areas. $620 million of tax payers money to buy Yank satellites that will give high speed broadband to 3% of the most remotes area of Australia is an absolute joke.