View Single Post
Old 22-03-2012, 05:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

+1 for Andy's comments.

Personally I use a Makita 18V BTW251 Cordless Impact Wrench (Rattle Gun) Has the Li-on batteries, is light weight and will rattle off wheel nuts no drama and drive shaft nuts without much trouble. Battery life is good and I have no dramas getting through a whole day of servicing up to 4 rally cars. That equates at up to 24 wheels (on one side of each car) going on and off the cars + sump guard bolts etc during an event. The Makita battery charger will fully charge a battery in 22 minutes anyway.
Most of our service crew have the equally capable Hitachi 18V cordless impact wrenches. The Hitachi's work pretty well and seem to have a similar battery life. Most of our crew are tradies in the building game and bought the Hitachi 18V multi tool packages. Surprising how much power the 18V cordless angle grinder has.

Pricing:The Makita BTW251 (tool only) is around $240 from All Tools in Bayswater, not sure on the whole kit price with charger, batteries and case. Tool Mart may be worth a call.
Good deals on Ebay too, however a word of caution on buying off Ebay. The cordless tool packages are usually brand new as advertised, however the chargers are often US or US modified from 110V to 240V. Better off to buy a 18V drill kit or battery & charger locally and then buy the tool only off Ebay, cheapest I have seen for the Makita BTW251 is $184.00.
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]