View Single Post
Old 31-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Thanks P.WRX for your continuous support.

As part of STD's committment on continuous improvement, I have just installed the new STD R5-C into u-ra-bus's GD WRX today. I have requested STD to develop a unit that is more comfortable, whilst still providing the handling required, for the GD and GR/GH Imprezas, as per the request of some P.WRX members.

Spring rates have also been altered to 8kgmm and 6kgmm, with a lower spring rate for more comfort.

For those who take corners hard on a daily basis, the STD R5s will still be available. Although I don't find the R5s uncomfortable in any way, especially in the soft dampening settings, I still would prefer to use the R5 personally as I like to have a good feel of the driving surface and it gives me more confidence knowing the surface I am driving on.

Also, STD maintains it designs at a proper usage level, whereby the travel of the shock is not affected by the height adjustment. I have seen a lot of recent hype of expensive coilovers which provide you with a longer spring, plus a helper spring, with no provision for maintaining shock travel. This means that once the vehicle is lowered, shock travel is proportionately reduced. I will go into further details down the thread.

From my own experience, I have gone through the top brands like Teins, HKS, Cusco, Ohlins, KW on my own EVO 6.5 and regardless of the opinions of others (to each their own- with respect), the STD coilovers are on par if not better. IMO, having a set of coilovers at a competitive price, would only mean less marketing dollars for STD coilovers, but will be an added bonus to end-users.

Also, Evolution R's committment to P.WRX and its sale of STD coilovers is absolute, which means we don't just sell you the product, we offer an uncompromising after-sales service during or out of warranty locally here in Australia and in Perth, backed by our own well-equipped workshop. In saying this, I hope I have not let down any the P.WRX STD coilover users and will be trying to give you a more comprehensive and improved service in time to come. (DIN: I have not forgotten about your request for posting a 'how to' on proper height adjustment here. Will find the time to do it)

I will be doing another install on a P.WRX GD tomorrow and will post the pics of these new units shortly.

u-ra-bus GD WRX fitted with the new STD R5-Cs today. Note the car looks higher as it was jacked up on the hydraulic lift for access to steering arms and toe adjustments. I did not get a chance to take the final pics as I was spending quite a bit of time on the final ride quality.:

Front sneak pics:

Rear sneak pic: