Thread: Unlock ecutek
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Just piping in here - If it is a stage 1 or 2 tune then it is a tune that is from Ecutek with a few minor tweaks - I am fairly sure as part of the licencing that whoever the agent is is obliged bu Ecutek to lock the ecu.

Additionally if that is the case they are a very safe and conservitive reflash so boost will drop off significantly over xx rpm as it may not of actually had any Dyno time.

I think what they call a stage 3 is the only time it actually hits the dyno and I have no doubt in my mind that "if" that is what it has and Steve tuned it it would have been tuned properley and throughout the rev range - having said that it is quite normal to bleed the boost off in higher RPM as a smaller turbo has to work very hard to make the boost at high rpm.

Reality is you need to know what level of Ecutek you have then take it to MMS or Racetourque to be retuned or removed dependant on the costs of a retune or if you want to go to Evolution R.

As far as people sayng you own the tune - I disagree - I don't like he idea of a locked ecu BUT $1200 or whatever doesn't buy alot of IP in this world. You have paid for a service and a licence.

To put it in perspective - Company x pays for world class tuner and expert in Y ECU to fly over to Perth and teach them whatever - they use this to tune your car - you take your car to someone else and have tuner z look at tune. Tuner z then has access to the IP paid for by Company x for free. Does that seem fair and reasonable to you?

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi