View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_for_me View Post
The only two differences I have seen between dyno tuning and street tuning is that dyno pulls are usually done in 4th and street pulls in 3rd, and after a dyno tune the tuner takes the car for a drive on the street.

I have never seen a dyno tuner hold a steady RPM.
Also worth noting, you should never be looking at the laptop while driving. Ever! There is no need, and as you pointed out, the back of a truck is something to avoid at all costs.
Dyno pulls on a hub in a 5 speed - 4th, 6 speed -5th (closest gear to 1:1 ratio)
Roller dynos are often done a gear lower due to the wheel speed associated and the safety factor, with some corrections in place for the magical dyno numer. I assume road tunes are done for the same reason (top of 4th would certainly exceed the state mandated 110km/hr speed limit)

If you've never seen a tuner hold a steady RPM, you should see the videos of Cosworth tuning their F1 engines, 12,000 rpm on the dyno for 10 minutes at a time.

Anyway, it might seem like we're (well, me at least) ripping into you about every little thing. OpenECU email tunes are still a rarity in Perth, and most shops that offers tuning so far uses the traditional "time on the dyno" method (excluding Ecutek 1&2), which in my opinion is the safest method. The fact of the matter is: without a good tuner in the car that can diagnose things (like small amounts of knock through amplifiers) , I worry that people are going to be thrashing around in "work in progress" tunes by some fly by night email tuner that disappears next month when half a dozen engines pop. Thats not something I wish to see happen.

Can you perhaps post up a few more links to the tuners work, results etc to gain a bit more faith. Pricing is also a big factor, as you can budget for a set price, drive into a workshop here in Perth and pay that set price for a flash tune. If I get an email tune and am expecting to pay $430 and get an invoice for $1257 because it took longer than a usual tune, I would spit chips