Thread: 44S tune
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Failsafes as in factory staged rpm limiter, over boost protection, ignition timing self learn, knock retard & corrections (all parameters are tuner variable), fuel pump control (GD has a fuel pump speed controller driven off the ecu), power steering load sensing etc - just to name a few

Factory transponder immob is part of the ecu.

GD MAF isn't an issue & is reliable, you won't get remotely close to maxing it out with stock heads,cams & 205 bottom end. Only the GC8 film type MAF's are/were unreliable.

I don't understand why you'd be interested in giving it the flick when it won't be your limiting factor power-wise, nor be unreliable.

MAF systems take less time to tune (less $$), cold start is always spot on, off boost mapping is more accurate (MAF resolution) & they allow for more variables before someone needs to pull the lappie out & retune it.

The 44s is getting on a bit & the new Link G4 or Vipec are a different kettle of fish with much faster processors & more developed firmware......Even if they have no knock control out of the box -STILL-!!
why do they get such a good rap on here then? (i know the posts are old, but that doesnt worry me much)

i thought the immob had its own ecu, so that is a negative aspect for me.

i know the maf has good points, but given the chance i prefer map for simplicity if i can.

i can get this ecu $350, tune would be 3 or 400 im guessing - seen posts on here saying verso from asg is $1200? - fairly decent price difference, but if its going to fuck with my immob & finding a tuner is going to be difficult i will give it a miss.
thanks a lot