Thread: Front bumper
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Kato, the overhead cost on a full respray are quite substantial.

Factoring in pearl paints and some of the more exotic colours you could easily eat a large portion of your stated amount in product alone.

You also need to factor in the shortage in the industry ATM, this obviously leads to increased costs for the retention of valued employees/contractors (IMO the rates are askew in this thread).

Considering what you're getting and a bare metal respray or respray with significant/time consuming works involved does 10k sound all that outlandish?

IMO its not a cost people see on a daily basis and they're not use to it. Factor it against the price of performace parts or other regular/more periodic purchases.

I think there needs to be a more clear definition of the works involved against some of the costing mention in this thread.
Like I said, for a quick touch up respray in the same colour as the car is presented... $10k is a lot. I have never seen prices like that expect on real custom, top end show car paint jobs.

You have experience with the industry and I know how much paint is and what a building rent is, which will be your main additional costs over labour. I'm still yet to see a standard 'freshen up' car painted where a painter spends 2+ weeks day in day out on that one car.

A simple calc is if a paint job is $10k and would last around 2 weeks of man hours (if the painter is overpaid at $50/hr that's only $4k, gives $6k for overheads and profit to the company), that means 1 painter can generate $1m+ of work in a year. I can fit a good 20 painters in a shed and have a $20m turnover going off these prices.

Seems illogical not to do it! Unless of course people won't pay $10k for a paint job and this is all crap.