View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

First thing I would do is avoid listening to people saying you can make $1-2k per 12 hour shift. Yes it is possible to achieve these kind of jobs after a long period of time working your way up and fighting every other bugger out there for the job.

Yes you will hear all these stories of people making $150/hr as a peggy filling up the coffee machine in the smoko hut. Try and find one of them who will show you a payslip proving it. Others will tell you of the great rate they are getting, but fail to tell you it is only for a 2 week shutdown, not their normal salary for the year.

Starting off, your pay will be shit to average shit. To be blunt, you have nothing that any company 'needs' compared to any one else out there. Be prepared for that and don't be disgruntled that you aren't making $300k/year like The West keeps saying everyone is.

Be prepared for a lot of long hard work. The hardest issue (and the reason why companies ask for prior experience) is not actually doing the work. It's keeping sane after hours. A lot of sites now have a lot for people to do after hours to help with this. Make sure you research where you are going and you are happy with that.

Be prepared to spend a lot of your own money furthering your skills. Don't expect an employer to just instantly send your on lots of courses.

If you have absolutely no experience, I would be looking for local work first. i.e. If you want to be a TA for boilermakers, pipe fitters, welders on a site, I would be applying for a local workshop position to learn what people do, what the lingo is and what is expected of you.

As others have said, put your name down with recruitment companies. Talk to friends to find any position going.

Best of luck.