View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Guys you are all missing my point.

Yes you might be lucky and manage to nab a job with no experience and get trained to do it. It will be a very low level job, easy to train or require no certification though. If it was as easy as that, why are there so many thread, websites, news stories and what not on how to get a job in the mines? It is just not as easy as rocking up and saying train me.

As the thread is 'how to get a job in the mining sector', I would be getting as much training prior to applying for a position. Want to be a rigger, scaffolder, crane driver etc etc etc, I would be getting a ticket prior and trying everywhere to get experience (local and fifo). The reason I say that, is this is something I look for when employing these people.

This is just my opinion though and each company will have differing ways they want to hire and train people. I know a lot of people who 'get in the door' by taking a TA job, showing promise and then being trained up. This is also a good way of getting your self into a better position.

As for the above, I have plenty of experience in this field. I don't have any experience applying for FIFO as I don't want to do that, but I do have plenty of experience hiring and firing people for those roles. Just trying to pass on my opinion.