View Single Post
Old 20-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSubaru View Post
What about SkyDrive with Windows Live? You could use the online/cloud Office 365 from the web browser.

Office 2013 from what I can tell by the Release Preview is heavily based on cloud storage provided by Live.
If you want all your documents read by the Americans.

Look up the patriot act. By law they can look at anything on servers in the US. So any of your data you choose to store in the cloud in the US, Eg "Skydrive", it is not private only to you.

Obviously this is more of a concern for big companies. (to the point where resellers of SaaS actually say the service is being driven from a Sydney datacentre, where the patriot act cannot be enforced ) - Peace of mind for us Aussies.

----

To the OP, we did this, but in-house (corporate solution), for the board of directors. Required Sharepoint, Apple App called "Boardpapers" and the board papers server component.

Boardpapers server syncs with Sharepoint, then the iPad VPN's into the network and retrieves all the documents. Boardpapers allows you to edit etc on the iPad.

This solution keeps everything in-house and secure.

If you wanted i guess you could put the boardpapers server in the DMZ so you don't need VPN, less secure though.

http://www.pervasent.com/board-papers/

iPads are terrible corporate devices. Yes the form factor is there, but for an enterprise, iOS is not the way. We will probably go Micosoft Surface with Windows8 when Microsoft drop one on our desks to play with. Ok for a small business though I spose for Email and such!

They just lack any remote management/tracking cabability. We have a few thousand iPhones in our business, soon to be getting rid of them for Nokia Lumia's i suspect, we are a full Microsoft shop as you can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Quick office is the other app we used. Just saw that MS are rumored to be releasing office for ios in NOV.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...___report.html
Also doubt the above will happen when MS want to drive sales on their new Surface.

Last edited by RichX; 20-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.