Old 20-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level
Default How To: Install a new Head Unit and Subwoofer - GR Impreza

Installing an Aftermarket Stereo and Compact Subwoofer
2008 and up Subaru Impreza
Written by Cameron - SyncSubaru

RESERVED - IN PROGRESS

NOTE - I ran out of time to do both installs in the one night. The guide will therefore be split into 2 seperate installs. If you were doing this in one day, the subwoofer remote wire could be connected onto the antenna remote on of your harness at the same time before putting everything together.

Welcome to my guide on installing your own HeadUnit and Subwoofer into your GR Subaru Impreza. A quick disclaimer - I am not an expert in this field, and I take no responsibility for any damage you may or may not cause when attempting this yourself. I do however think it is not difficult to do this on your own, and save alot of money in the process by doing some homework before buying up on equipment.

I hope you enjoy it and find it helpful!

Contents
Part 1 - Parts Required and Subwoofer Comparison Chart
Part 2 - Headunit and Accessories
Part 3 - Subwoofer and Accessories
Part 4 - Setting Up / Tuning.

Resources:
SVXdc - Wiring Harness Pinouts - Supplier of Subaru Adapter Harnesses. Buy your wiring harness here! David can advise you on what you need for your car!
Objective:

To remove the OEM Headunit from a GR Impreza, replace it with a 2Din aftermarket unit, and install an in-cabin Subwoofer to fill out the low-frequency and add bass.

Constraints:
  • The OEM Harness should not be damaged or butchered.
  • The buttons on the Steering Wheel should still control audio.

Last edited by SyncSubaru; 20-08-2012 at 11:36 PM.