View Single Post
Old 20-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Part 2 - Headunit and Accessories

Setting up the "Master Harness":
The pre-install process will make the installation much easier. During preinstall, first ensure that you have all the parts and equipment you require.

This stage involves connecting the wires from the headunit wiring harness (in my case, Pioneer) to the wires on the harness provided by SVXdc. Try to keep the wires as short as possible to minimise the space required behind the headunit (But dont cut off so much that you have none left for repairs if you muck it up!).

I found that between the Pioneer Harness and SVXdc’s harness, all colours were the same on both sides. This made it easy to simply go along and connect and solder all the connections together. Always check your wire colours and write down which ones pair up before you start.

Pass the heatshrink tubing over the wires before you join them. Make sure they are far away from where you are soldering, so you dont shrink them by accident.

Next, take the 2 sides and twist them together. You could also put a bit of solder on each side first if you like.

After that, simply solder the wires together, and then thread over the heatshrink. I like to use a Hair Dryer to shrink them all.

Below is my completed Master Harness, with all wires connected up. Note that the Axxess Steering Wheel Control wiring is also connected in here. It sits in between the Pioneer and Subaru wires.

When completed, this becomes an adapter that can be plugged into the plug in the car, and the socket on the headunit.

Installation of the headunit

*NOTE* Please unplug your battery before attempting any electrical work on your car. I am in no way responsible for any damage caused to your stuff. If you don’t feel confident to do this yourself, turn back now!

Remove the dash plastic surrounding the OEM Stereo using a plastic trim removal tool. I used a Plastic Cake Spatula (Perfect size and does not damage trims!). There are 3 clips in the bottom holding the face on to the center dash. Once freed, the faceplate easily pulls off.

Next, Remove 4 Philips screws holding the OEM Stereo in place.

Gently remove the OEM Stereo, and unplug the wires from behind it. (Subaru 20 Pin, Center Console AUX Input, and Antenna).

Below you can see a comparison of size between the JDM and AUDM face plates. Quite a bit of difference in size..

Now you must remove the mounting plates from the OEM Stereo, and attach them to the new Head Unit. Make sure to use the screws provided with your new Stereo!

The new Head Unit is now prepared to be installed into the car. Plug in your freshly made master harness adapter to the 20 Pin plug on the car’s harness.

Next, thread the RCA Cables for the subwoofer through the dash and down into the drivers footwell. Dont worry about the cables hanging there - we are going to route them properly when we install the subwoofer in a later chapter.

During this stage, also thread the USB Cable into the gap on the right, inside the glove box compartment. This will appear in the opening with the other wires (you will need to reach in and pull it through).

Position your microphone on top of the steering column with the supplied 3M Tape. Pass the cable back up where the RCA Cables were threaded down. There is a lot of excess cable, you should clean it up with cable-ties and stuff it behind the head unit. Don’t worry, theres PLENTY of room for cables in there.

Finally, plug in the black Axxess SWC Box into the master harness, and put it down in the cavity with the other wiring.

Now its time to plug everything back in. Plug the harness into the back of the new headunit, along with the RCA Cables, Microphone, and USB. Do the antenna last, I found it had the shortest cable.

Reinsert the headunit into the dash and bolt in the 4 Philips Screws. Connect the battery and restore power to the car to check that it works!

Woohoo! Put your dash kit back on and you have installed your own stereo! Good job!

Last edited by SyncSubaru; 20-08-2012 at 11:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SyncSubaru For This Useful Post:
Master D (20-08-2012), Soksta (21-08-2012)