Thread: Targa West 2012
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Chris's car does not have ABS + the brake booster has been removed to accomodate the cage. It also doesn't have a bias adjuster....an adjuster may be useful (as I have found).

I agree that ABS isn't a bad thing to have (some personal experience here!)....obviously the purists like Herridges Jnr and Snr wouldn't have it -they have a gravel background, where ABS isn't even a consideration. Would I have ABS is given the choice...I think yes...old dogs and new tricks are a difficult combo.

I haven't seen the in car of the incident but having seen the bit of road I could imagine that weight on the nose under braking + adverse camber + road curve could easily have contributed to the care getting unstable....it was just bad luck that there happened to be a kerb just in the wrong place (or kerb in the right place and car in the wrong place)...apparently Simon G ran straight on and into the scrub on that corner and Franz was about a metre onto the gravel on the exit, so it's a tricky bit of road.

Note to Chris - the carbon bits are legal but check quality and weight...note the Seibon bits on Iddles' car...top quality and very lightweight...and expensive, but you have a $100K car, so don't compromise on quality (saying that the bits you can get in China may be good quality). The other thing to cosider is what happens to carbon doors in an accident...ie sharp bits of carbon shards flying everywhere.