View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

So what happened today?

Well I got to put some theory into practice on the dyno & had a little 1 to 1 time with Warick, whilst tuning the car. I learnt a fair amount today which is a huge bonus in the scheme of things. I was hoping for 350 ish +/- 10 hp, but I am happy with what it put out. As mentioned by craig, I am missing 3 psi from what I "wanted to run" The boost controller I have is not the best & we ended up maxing it out, in what it was capable of controlling. This was possibly due to the wastage spring only being around 1 bar & being weak also???

So how does it feel to drive? Well, being that it was raining pretty hard when I was driving home, I did not really get to test it out as much as I would have liked. But, fark it goes hard. It was cutting out whilst I was driving home when I was putting my foot down. I was like whats going on? Then i realised I was on the limiter. No shit, this thing really does wind up quick. The whole sensation was a lot to take in. 3500, 4000, 4500.....Boost really comes on hard &..... Limiter. Much quicker than I am used too. I really do need to get used to the sensation of boost coming on & the rpm winding up so much quicker, & when to change gear, as its so different. 1st gear & 2nd gear above 4500rpm was all wheel spin tonight in the wet & it still felt really quick.

The STI has around the same power & torque numbers. The best "it" did was a 12.3 at 109 mph down the 1/4. The wagon weighs around 230kg less than the STI, so you may now get an idea on how quick this feels? Its pretty much the difference in having either yourself driving a car or having 3 average sized passenger in your car with you.

All in all, very happy. As always the bum dyno is the real test of a tune & after the drive home, the slight disappointment on not achieving the numbers I was hoping for, quickly dissipated.

The injectors ran today no problems, the maximum they got to at full noise & 1.4 bar was around 39% at around 10.9 AFR, at full noise. Truly astonishing a injector can achieve everything it can, being so big n all

A massive thanks to Warick on the tuning lesson. Mao for the endless, ongoing support and assistance with this car. Matt for all the help with parts & the oil , Geoff for being my shadow today & Paul & Neil for the engine build & parts. I only managed to get 128 K's on the clock before it went on the dyno today & it all happened so comfortably. Amazing. Cheers guys........

The actual final results.

Simon.