View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
Definatley not forgetting, hence i remember on my stock ej207, stock pistons/with stock heads/stock cams/vf34 and a rubbish fmic making 323ps/480nm with not a lot more then just boost and jungle juice, 6 years ago and it was reliable

All im suggesting is that for the length youve gone too, i'd expect some good returns, otherwise you probably could have saved some $
Fair enough Stace, point taken. Lengths I have gone too? We as a group enjoy what we do, & as I mentioned before I am happy with what I have got. The numbers may not be the best, but the car feels quick.

Its a learning curve I guess, I am happy to make some smaller changes in power but gain more in knowledge of what works and doesnt work on an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Who ported your heads Simon? What was the expectant gain from doing so?
A friends dad did them for me.

To be honest Rossco, I went to 2 head places around 12 months ago for the heads to be ported (for the 2.35 build), 1mm oversized valve, double row springs, Ti retainers & 272 cams. Both these places looked at me and yeah we have done it before, but your motor is forced induction, don't you just through more boost into it?

At the time I was (and still am) a little nieve. I understand the factors of volumetric efficiency and want to know does a head have to be ported to increase flow, can it be a standard port with a bigger cam (ie more duration & lift)? Does it have to be both? Are OS valve really needed? We ported the heads as a trial & purposefully left the cams standard & mech gear standard to see what it would do. The results obviously dont look too promising, but we will see what happens with better boost control & a little more flow.

Basically this entire engine build was an experiment for future builds within the people I hang out with, who are fellow hoons, I mean enthusiasts We did not know what the real gains would be, opposed to better VE

Simon.