View Single Post
Old 20-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru
Exclamation Things to note when ending a sale thread

Hey guys,

I spend a fair amount of time moderating this section, marking ads as sold in the title etc.

I thought I would post up some tips, to make life easier for everyone when marking your ad as sold.

1. Don't remove the ad completely!

If you sell your item, and no longer wish it to be sold, whether it's a car or parts or a mobile phone, please don't edit the ad and remove all the details. Having your ad helps other people who may be searching for something similar or trying to sell something similar gauge roughly what it's worth. Call it, market research.

2. Mark item as sold, so we can close the thread and edit the title!

Secondly, if you sell an item, please just post it as sold or sold pending pick up / payment, whatever. Once this happens, I, or one of the other moderators will see it, and close the thread, and mark it as sold in the title. If the sale falls through, or you require the ad opened up again for any reason, PM me or one of the other mods.

3. Remove contact info to avoid googlers calling you 5 years after the item is sold!

One of the biggest things, is making sure you remove your phone number from the ad. Currently, this forum gets a lot of traffic, making us pretty popular with google. I have had people ring me on my mobile for items I was selling on this forum some 4 or 5 years ago, asking if I still have it, because they searched for it in google, and my thread here popped up, and they didn't read the date, or scroll down to see it was sold. So if there is no contact information, it makes it a lot harder for this to occur. I have removed my number from all of my existing and past ads, and have now stopped receiving calls about the stereo I was selling in 2007.

4. Pictures sell items!

Speaks for itself. If you want it sold, post pics!

5. Delete posts / clean your own thread!

Most of you may not be aware, but you can remove your own posts from a for sale ad. Just click on edit post, then tick the delete box. It will ask for a reason, optional, but this helps keep threads clean and relivant. No one wants to read 45 posts of you saying 'BUMP' to get to the bottom to find out you've removed the item from sale. Keep on top of it, keeps the ad tidy, and just the needed information is there.

If someone else posts in your thread and it's completely off topic, unwarranted, unhelpful, or just plain stupid, PM us and we'll have a look at it.

Thanks and happy posting!

Last edited by ImPreSiV; 20-10-2012 at 04:24 PM.