View Single Post
Old 28-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

chevZ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
Sounds like noisy pillow balls in the strut tops.

Especially if the car has been lowered a fair bit and the spring preload is quite low, the pillow balls wouldn't have enough tension on them when the spring unloads over bumps, causing the rattle when they recompress.

Raise the car back up slightly and set the spring preload correctly, see if that fixes it.
Hmm!

The spring preload is set to whatever Mao at EvoR Set it to, I have only changed the height but left the preload the same. Any idea what the 'correct' preload is? (STD R3 Coilovers if that helps)

I'm more than confident that if i raise it that the sound will probably go away.. But I don't want to, because it's as high as I ever want it at the moment :P.. So if i raise it won't that still leave me at square one (guessing what is causing it when lowered)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
^^ try this first.

On the rear left hand lower control arm is a small sensor, when I had my OEM suspension put back in this wasn't put back into place and was making some noise when it moved, I would check this (would have seen it when you were looking at the rear end links).

Did you disconnect the end links to confirm if they were the cause of the noise?

Any chance that the noise it coming from the real parcel shelf?
I know from personal experience that it can give off a couple of unique noises (especially the clip covers).

If the design of the Whiteline HD Rear End Links hasn't changed, I would recommend not using them.
Had a bad experience where the design led to one of the end links failing and took a few small chunks out of the sway bar.

If you need something urgent, I have some Kart Boy end links that you can have.
Definitely not a rattle from the parcel, this is pretty noticably only on sharp bumps in the road and definitely coming from the wheel somewhere.

I have not disconnected the rear links to see if this changes anything, however links are an easy replacement so i'm happy to just change them and see if it fixes it .. i guess i was hoping someone would post saying "Yep I changed the links and its all fixed!!"

Oh really?? how much do you want for the kartboy ones then? If they are a goer i'll give them a shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I have an annoying rattle that sounds like the folded seat isn't hooked in properly. Comes from the same point you are talking. I Notice it more on the freeway than anything. Haven't had a chance to pop into a dealer to get it looked at yet.

Car is stock too. If I find anything out I will post in case it helps.
The sound you're probably talking about Drewski is a rear parcel shelf rattle, I also had that (It's super super common on MY11/MY12's) I just jammed a piece of stubby cooler between parcel shelf and windscreen to stop that one, although dynamatting will also fix - Search the issue on NASIOC there's a full breakdown of it.

Cheers for the ideas guys!