Thread: 07 wrx tune
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Then you have completely misunderstood me as I do not see it as a urinal pee contest. I dont live in forums, as I do have other commitments and responsibilities. However, I will always try to answer as best as I can, when time allows.

You mentioned Torque as the element to look for. I disagree as Hp is just as the same and as important. Hp is directly proportionate to torque.
Horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252
(Apologies again if I do not give you the formulas in metric, as I studied this is the US and I am already used to it and am sure a simple conversion won't hurt.)

Tuning is both mathematical and methodical. A smart 10yr old can easily tune AFRs on a PC by using Pg+ or Pg- and watch the Lambda meter. I strongly believe a sound understanding of both is necessary to achieve a good tune.

I disagree that it is ' it is just a 2D graph'. My reasoning: How many times are you on WOT in a day?

Dynapack does not plot 3D graphs, and I have chosen a BSFC,
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption and BSAC, Brake Specific Air Consumption.

BSFC is a measure of an engine's efficiency. and is correlated to hp. BSFC says an engine will produce a given amount of horsepower, using a certain amt of fuel.

Both Torque, HP and Volumetric efficiency are correlated to both BSFC and BSAC.

I have chosen a plot of a Ducati 848 to depict this as this is available online and is independent info. Area above the graph can be seen at the circled places below WOT. Even at 80% OT, power and torque was laying off already..

From my tuning perspective, I have also put arrows in the graph where we would normally increase the Torque or Hp. Real world adjustments, correct AFRs, Boost and Ignition timing. Reason for this is that most guys are not in WOT conditions all the time, even on the track. How about more power + torque around the 70% to 90%open throttle as this would give manuverability and power on hand in the regions you need?

I really wished WOT can tell me 90% of the vehicle's tune, life will be a lot easier. We can just tune 10% of the cells and leave the rest then.

I hope this answers some questions raised and if anyone wants me to answer any questions, do ask politely, as I will most certainly extend the same courtesy back.

Disclaimer:
I must also strongly emphasize that I am not associated and have nothing to do with 'urinal pee contest', 'life threatening jobs', 'printing certs off the internet' ,'calculus' etc.

Last edited by mao; 11-12-2012 at 03:33 AM. Reason: spell check