View Single Post
Old 19-12-2012, 12:03 AM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by row011 View Post
As you have probably noticed the warning times between different cameras significantly varies depending on the setup of the camera performed by the operator. While the Vitronic Poliscan scans the road in a right to left motion it's lidar beam or arc is limited for detection by the fact that laser is not being shot down the road, but across the road at a fairly sharp angle, the Poliscan while not effected by the Cosine error laser guns face can afford to use this tactic without loss of performance.
Just for the sake of clarity, can you expand on this a little? In my former job I was qualified in all forms of radar & laser that operated at the time; and from my training, the larger the angle deviated from the line of the road, the greater was the cosine error. The old Multanova operated at (from memory) 65 degrees from dead square of the road line (ie, 25 degrees deviance from the road line), mathematically calibrated to take into account the cosine error at that particular angle, but because it used radar with a 12(?) degree beam width, it made it detectable from a fair distance, and therefore it was still ideal to use a detector to avoid a fine. (This, of course, made for many court trials whereby the driver who knew his trigonometry made claim that he was returning from a right to left lane overtake and drove more directly into the beam, causing the calibration effect to falsely inflate his detected speed). Hand held laser is almost always shot straight down the road and can take a reading in a third of a second, not giving the average driver any reaction time, (unless a true reading due to lack of reflectivity was not successful on 1st push of the button and a 2nd take or subsequent take was needed); effectively still making it the best method from a traffic enforcement perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by row011 View Post
Generally when the cameras are distant from the road the warning is reduced as the angle required for operation increases.
Are you referring to the distance the camera is from the road verge, or the distance to the objective vehicle? Is the operational angle able to be varied and calibrated accordingly on the Poliscan?

Not trying to give ya a hard time, I was just a bit confused by your description in the narrative. I'm quite sure you know your stuff and would be up to speed (excuse the pun) with the latest on speed detection equipment.

Cheerz
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)