View Single Post
Old 25-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenR View Post
Pigeon toed .CS9 ?
Mine is in getting a 6 speed conversion , sounds like i need to get in contact with Doug.
Yeah, your car. Front ball joints undone for gearbox removal hence the toe in.
6 MT is in. Jim Berry clutch is in. Tailshaft is done. Rear diff is in a hundred pieces on the bench awaiting reassembly. Your original Suretrac centre has very slight fracures through the welds (which is quite common)
I'm still going to assemble it up with the new ratio but in time you'll need to think about either a Cusco or Kaaz LSD for the R160 or go the full monty and change the whole lot over to R180.

It's a bit of a design flaw with those Suretrac diff centres. The case appears to be made in 3 pieces. A large thread ended tube which has end caps screwed on after the centre is inserted. The end caps are then TIG welded to prevent unscrewing (I assume) On one end the welds are left intact, on the crownwheel side they are machined off flat leaving only the small 'V' of weld penetration. This is the side that cracks. I have no idea why they machine it off? There's no need, it's not a mounting face.